Cooking meat with perfection is quite tricky; what if it gets undercooked or overcooked? Totally a waste! But if you want the delicious outcome; perfectly and evenly cooked meat with no effort at all, buying the best Meat Thermometer is a savior.
Using a meat thermometer, you can easily check the internal temperature of the meat you are cooking, and thus you can retain the perfect tenderness and juiciness inside the meat. No matter what you are making-from grilled chicken to ribeyes to pork roast to seared steaks, to poached fish- everything you will get perfectly cooked.
But the biggest question is which meat thermometer is best and what you need to consider before buying the one? That’s why we are here to help you out in selecting the best meat thermometer for your needs.
Best Meat Thermometers – Quick Check
We have picked the top performing models based on our tests and research. These are accurate, easy to use, and offers precise & fast results.
- Overall Best Meat Thrmometer: ThermoPro TP20 Wireless Remote Food Thermometer
- Best Meat Thermometer for Chefs: ThermoPro TP-17 Dual Probe
- Best Affordable Meat Thermometer: Taylor Digital Probe Thermometer
- Best Meat Thermometer for Grilling: Alpha Grillers Instant Read Meat Thermometer
- Best Meat Thermometer for Oven: OXO Digital Leave-In Thermometer
- Best Meat Thermometer for BBQ: Maverick BT-600 Bluetooth Instant Read Thermometer
- Best Pocket Thermometer: Saferell Instant Read Meat Thermometer
Best Meat Thermometer – Reviews
1. ThermoPro TP20 Wireless Remote Food Thermometer
Overall Best Meat Thermometer (Smoking, Grilling, BBQ)
Coming to our top pick, this wireless meat thermometer from Thermopro comes with all the amazing features for perfect meat cooking. No matter whether you are a beginner or a pro, this meat thermometer will let you have full control over your food resulting in a safe and delicious outcome.
The first impressive feature is its accuracy and instant reading. It also comes with pre-programmed USDA-approved temperature settings for various types of meats and their doneness levels.
Another best feature is its dual-probe technology, so you can read the temperature of two different meat pieces, or even you can use one as an oven probe for the accurate reading of the surrounding temperature. This way, it eliminates the guesswork and allows cooking with perfection.
When it comes to ease of use, it is simply awesome. Its large LED display provides clear temperature readings. It is also equipped with a loud alarm feature along with a visual indicator on the remote that flashes in bright orange color, notifying you that the cooking is done.
Overall, a great wireless meat thermometer with good reliability, accuracy, and performance, absolutely a worth buy at all.
- Temperature Range: 32°F to 572°F (0°C to 300°C)
- Battery: 4 x AAA batteries
- Temperature Accuracy: ±1.8°F (±1°C) from 32 to 212°F (0 to 100°C)
- Wireless remote dual probe thermometer
- Best to use with BBQ, oven, and smoker
- Allows you to monitor two different meat pieces or one meat and the grill/oven/smoker temperature
- Various preset temperatures (USDA approved) and doneness levels for different types of meat, fish, and poultry
- Countup and countdown time setting for easy usage
- Audio alarm and visual indicator when cooking gets over
- Transmitter has a wire to either hook on the oven door or use as a stand
- Large backlit LCD for getting clear readings
- 3 Years manufacturing warranty
- Best in terms of design and quality
- Simple interface and set up
- Durable construction
- Readings in both Fahrenheit and Celsius
- Many complaints that probes are not long-lasting
2. ThermoPro TP-17 Dual Probe Digital Cooking Meat
Best Meat Thermometer for Chefs
Now, a little bit affordable than the previous model from the same brand ThermoPro, our next pick is great for chefs and a worth buy in every manner.
Not so many fancy features, but for performance, accuracy, and preciseness, this dual probe thermometer is pretty great and affordable too. It comes with two stainless steel probes that allow you to read two types of food simultaneously. There are USDA preset temperatures, plus you can also adjust the set temperature manually, making it more convenient to cook different types of meats.
The best parts are its STEP-DOWN probe tip design and a backlit LCD screen that allow you to receive and read an accurate temperature very simply, even in the darkest of conditions. There is a timer too, so don’t worry about losing track of time. Believe me; you will get the perfect outcome every time.
- Temperature Range: 14˚F to 572˚F (-10˚C to 300˚C)
- Temperature Accuracy: ±1.8°F (±1°C)
- Battery: 1 x AAA battery
- Probe Length: 8.5″ food grade stainless probe
- Cable Length: 40″ stainless steel mesh cable
- Dual Probe Digital Meat Thermometer
- Long, accurate, and heat resistant probe
- The stainless steel probes ensure durability
- Backlit and large LCD displays food /oven/grill/smoker temps and timer very clearly
- Step-down probe design retrieves temperature precisely and quickly
- Count-down and count-up timer ensures easy usage
- Easy placement anywhere in the kitchen due to its flip-out countertop stand and magnetic back design
- Accurate and quick measurements
- The unit is solid and easy to use with a bright BLUE illumined background
- An audible alarm is also there that reminds you that the meat has reached the desired internal temperature
- Convenient timer feature
- Great customer service
- The unit is not waterproof
- The probe and cable are not dishwasher safe. They must be hand washed using hot water and soap.
3. Taylor Precision Products Digital Cooking Probe Thermometer
Best Affordable Meat Thermometer
This meat thermometer from the brand Tayor is absolutely a good quality unit at such an affordable price tag. Moreover, its compact design and user-friendly features will surely make you love this product.
This single probe thermometer monitors the cooking temperature of your food without opening the oven door again and again. So, the food gets cooked faster and evenly.
Its 6-inch stainless steel probe is large enough to fit larger and thick meat pieces. Plus, the 4-ft silicone cord ensures easy usage.
This thermometer also comes programmed with preset temperature levels for poultry, beef well, pork/veal, beef medium, ham, and beef rare/fish. You can even manually set the cooking temperature. Thus, it offers a perfect level of doneness, no matter what type of meat you are cooking.
It is also featured with an automatic timer and temperature alarm, removing the guesswork out of cooking. There is a dual LCD layout display, and the screen is adjustable too, with large numbers that are vivid and clear to read.
- Temperature Range: 32°F to 392°F or 0°C to 200°C
- Temperature Accuracy: ±1.8°F (±1°C)
- Battery: 2 x AAA battery
- Probe Length: 6″ food grade stainless probe
- Cable Length: 4-foot silicone cord
- High-quality stainless steel probe
- Displays both target and actual temperatures
- Programmable temperature for different types of meat
- Temperature alarm to notify you when the meat has reached the set internal temperature
- Timer feature for up to 24 hours
- Easy to read dual LCD readout
- Flip out stand or magnet positioning
- Braided stainless steel cord is heat resistant
- Sturdy and durable construction
- It folds down for compact storage
- Precise and accurate
- User-friendly timer function
- Clear readings on LCD
- The metal probe seems to be of lower quality
- The alarm is too loud that is quite irritating
4. Alpha Grillers Instant Read Meat Thermometer
Best Meat Thermometer for Grilling
With a lot of good customer ratings, well easy on your pocket too, this food thermometer from Alpha grillers grabs the fourth spot on our list. This easy to use tool is the most reliable one that gives you steady and accurate temperature instantly, so that you can cook your meat with perfection.
For those who love grilling, opting for this one is the best bet. The great thing is that it is heavy-duty, waterproof, and built to last.
No matter what you are cooking-beef, chicken, pork, turkey, fish, you will get the perfect results every time. As a bonus, it also includes a detailed laminated meat temperature guide for quick reference.
For easy and convenient usage, the model comes with a large backlit display to get clear, readable measurements every time. Moreover, its retractable cord allows you to use it at different angles. Plus, there are only three buttons (not so complicated), making use of the device a cakewalk.
Overall, the design is extremely simple, and you get a lifetime money-back guarantee, making it absolutely a no-risk purchase.
- Temperature Range: -58°F to 572°F (-50°C to 300°C)
- Temperature Accuracy: ±1°F
- Battery: 2 Lithium Metal batteries
- Probe Length: 4.5″ food grade stainless probe
- Simple design in red color with easy to use three buttons
- 4.5-inch long stainless steel probe that keeps your hands away from the scorching heat of a grill or stovetop
- A handy temperature guide right onto the thermometer, giving you easy access to the proper temperatures for poultry, fish, ground meat, etc.
- Large easy to read backlit display
- Temperature hold function to hold the temperature on the display screen until you are done reading it
- Automatic Power And Auto-Off Feature
- Simple design ensures easy usage
- Splash proof
- Data hold function is a nice feature
- Value for money
- Reading time is 5-7 seconds that is not considered to be instant
- You can’t leave the thermometer in the meat or oven while cooking
5. OXO Good Grips Chef’s Precision Digital Leave-In Thermometer
Best Meat Thermometer for Oven
Designed for ease and accuracy, this food thermometer from the most popular brand Oxo can be a great addition to your kitchen to cook with perfection. Well, the above models we have listed are not leave-in type; this one gives you full control over your cooking and is absolutely safe to leave in the oven.
It comes with a probe along with an extra-long cord to stay in your meat or in the oven during the cooking process.
The easy-to-read display and cord continuously monitors the internal temperature and alerts you to avoid overcooked meat.
This meat thermometer is also equipped with both chef-recommended and USDA-recommended temperatures. So, making the cooking job much easier. There is also a built-in 24-hour timer allowing you to keep track of the cooking process.
- Temperature Range: Up to 700 DegreeF (370 DegreeC)
- Temperature Accuracy: ±1°F
- Battery: 2 AAA batteries
- Durable stainless steel cord perfect for use in ovens, broilers, or on the grill
- Cord and probe nest inside the base for convenient storage
- 24-hour timer to set the target temperature
- Simple button interface to easily scroll through menu options
- Option to choose from preset USDA and chef-recommended temperatures for different types of meat
- Easy to read LCD screen
- 10-degree warning alert prevents overcooking
- Accurate and easy to use
- The cord is long and does not interfere with the oven door
- Ten-degree warning alert is a nice feature
- The audio alert is not satisfactory
6. Maverick BT-600 iChef Bluetooth Digital Instant Read Thermometer
Best Meat Thermometer for BBQ
No need to babysit the meat you are cooking; easily monitor your food from as far as 300 feet away with this smart wireless food thermometer from Maverick. Designed to be used from a distance, it allows you to monitor your bbq from your smartphone or tablet via a Bluetooth connection.
There are two waterproof probes allowing you to monitor one meat and one BBQ, two meats, or two BBQs – whatever you choose! Having a beeping alert, it notifies you when food is up to temperature and when BBQ falls out of temperature range. That’s a more convenient and easy way to cook meat perfectly.
- BBQ Range high temp (140°F to 572°F)
- BBQ range low temp (32°F to 554°F)
- Temperature Accuracy: ±1°F
- Probe Length: Two 36” waterproof probes
- Battery: 2 AAA batteries
- Extended range of 300 ft to monitor your food
- Two 36” long waterproof probes with probe wire rated for 572°F
- Water-resistant transmitter allows you to monitor up to four probes
- Six preset food temperatures and nine preset game temperatures to cook various types of meat perfectly
- Loss of signal alert if you go out of the 300-foot range for more than one minute
- Count up and count down timer
- Large LCD screen for clear readings
- Extremely accurate and easy to use
- The wires are durable
- Durable temperature probe
- Many complaints that it loses connection when go beyond fifteen feet
7. Saferell Instant Read Meat Thermometer for Cooking
Best Pocket Thermometer
If you are searching for a pocket-type meat thermometer in a sleek and simple design, this one from Saferell is the best bet. The thermometer is fast, accurate, and most importantly-the durable one.
What makes it the best option is its wireless and no-button operation, making it a user-friendly device, both for beginners or professional chefs. Even more, it includes a 304 stainless steel construction making it a long-lasting and durable device.
It comes with a 4.6-inch long probe that protects you from boiling water or hot oil splashes. The best part is that the probe easily sticks into the meat and offers instant reading (2-3 seconds only) without letting you wait too long, with the accuracy of ±1°F.
Reading the temperature measurements is too easy, as it comes with a large backlit display, no matter whether you are in dim light or too much light. Another best part here is that it is featured with IP67 waterproof, making cleaning and maintenance too easy.
- Temperature Range: -58°F to 572°F (-50°C to 300°C)
- Temperature Accuracy: ±1°F
- Battery: 2 Lithium Metal batteries
- Probe Length: 4.6″ food grade stainless probe
- IP67 Waterproof design
- 4.6-inch long (food-grade stainless steel) probe for easy usage
- Ergonomic handle for easy cooking
- Large backlit screen allows you to check the temperature in dim lights
- Built-in magnet and hanging hole for easy storage
- ABS material construction ensures durability
- The sleek design ensures easy handling and storage
- The handle of the thermometer is ergonomically designed and fits well in the hand
- Easily switchable between Fahrenheit and Centigrade
- Shuts off automatically to save battery
- A meat thermometer chart is also there in the package, making cooking more simple
- Very fast and accurate
- Lack some high end-features
How to Choose the Best Meat Thermometer?
Which type of meat thermometer is best?
Nowadays, there are many types of meat thermometers available on the market, from cheap probe-style digital units with LCD screens up to expensive infrared instant-read models. It’s hard for you to know which one is suitable for you. Have a look at its different variants and choose the one according to your needs.
1. Digital Instant-read Thermometers
This thermometer is a probe thermometer (available in both analog and digital styles). Digital instant-read thermometers are used to inject into the flesh of meat about 1⁄2 inch. They are also utilized to measure the temperature of hot foodstuffs in a chafing dish or steam tray. These thermometers are prompt with the response time. The downfalls? Well, they could be a little on the pricier side and cannot be left in the meat while cooking.
2. Oven Safe Thermometers
It is a super useful meat thermometer with plenty of buzzers and whistles. Just choose the meat you desire to cook and let the thermometer do the rest for you. It beeps when the meat reaches its desired temperature; it beeps once again after you have let it rest for three minutes as recommended by USDA. It’s a damsel in distress for you!
Thermocouples insert into the meat about 1⁄4 inch. Possessing an extremely delicate tip, they can easily penetrate thin and thick chunks of meat. The fact (of the matter) is, these thermometers provide the quickest response time (of all types). The only downfall is they are incredibly expensive.
4. Dial Thermometers
Dial thermometers insert into the meat about 2 – 2 1⁄2 inches. Their readings are a little difficult to comprehend; they take more time (comparatively). However, they offer potential advantages – they can be left in the meat while cooking. Plus, they aren’t that expensive as well and work wonders for large pieces of meat (such as Thanksgiving turkey).
5. Leave-in Digital Probes
These are typically the oven-safe thermometers, where the probe remains inside the meat while cooking, and the base unit rests on the counter to allow you to get the readings easily. It comes with a thin cord that connects the probe and the base unit. In terms of accuracy and ease of use, these food thermometers are best and also come with add-ons like alarms and timers.
6. Thermometer Forks
These meat thermometers are ideal for grilling and come in a shape of a large two-prong cooking fork. You need to place it at least a fourth of an inch deep in the thickest part of the meat to get readings in just 2-10 seconds.
7. Pop-up Thermometers and Disposable Temperature Indicators
These meat thermometers are specially designed for one-time use and are useful for specific temperature ranges only. Well, they are commonly found in poultry and sometimes come with a packaged chicken or turkey. These thermometers will pop-up or change their color in 5-10 seconds when it reaches its safe internal temperature and notifying you that they are ready to read.
8. Wireless Meat Thermometers
These thermometers are much similar to the leave-in digital probes, except they transmit wirelessly to the base unit. The two-in-one probe monitors both the internal temperature and the ambient temperature inside your oven or grill. This way, it is ideal for both indoor cooking and outdoor grilling.
What to Look For Before Buying a Meat Thermometer?
1. Precision and Accuracy
What if your food thermometer is not precise and accurate? Indeed, you will not get the perfect results in your meat cooking. Well, almost all types of meat thermometers are accurate. Even some also come with test marks that you can use to measure accuracy. You can use either ice water or boiling water to confirm that your food thermometer is accurate. The most common type of Instant Read Thermometers come with a re-calibration feature for your ease. So, you can adjust the thermometer for accuracy.
It is also very important to insert the thermometer properly in the food to get accurate and precise temperature measurements.
2. Digital Vs. Analog
For your home use, the digital models are best to go for, as they are convenient and far away easy to use. You don’t need to calibrate them and give instant results too. As a bonus, they come with a backlight screen for improved visibility, plus preset timers based on specific cuts of meat.
On the other hand, the Analog types are the old versions that are a bit heavier and difficult to read, still the choice of many cooks and professional chefs. These are ideally best for larger cuts of meat, and you can leave them in the meat while it cooks as they come with the longer probe. Though, they are not able to give the temperature measurements instantly.
3. Probe Type (Long Probe Vs. Short Probe)
Meat thermometers with the longer probe typically come with up to 5 inches longer probe that is best for cooking larger and big pieces of meat. But if you have thinner pieces to cook, it is better to go with the shorter probe meat thermometers, yet they are a bit cumbersome to manage and somehow less accurate too.
All in all, you must need a thermometer with a probe that is thin enough to minimize the juice leaking ruptures, even long enough to reach the center of the larger and deeper cuts of meat.
Some also come with adjustable probes allowing you to insert the thermometer at various angles.
4. Temperature Range
In accordance with safety measures, It has to ideally reach the temperature between 63 °C (170 °F) for medium-rare and for impeccable-rare;77 °C (170 °F).
5. Waterproof Feature
Make sure that the meat thermometer you are going to buy should withstand the cooking juices, splashes of sauce, and splashes of water while washing them.
6. Reading Time
After you begin to delve into the temperature, the thermometer should take merely 15 or 20 seconds to accurately give you an account of it.
Thermometers with larger digital screens as well as larger numbers are preferable to get clear and easy temperature readings. Some also come with backlit displays allowing you to get clear readings in dim light or while grilling outdoors at night.
Some models even also come with rotating screens so that you can take the temperature readings from different angles.
8. Auto Shut off
Check for the auto shut-off feature in your meat thermometer as it shuts off automatically when not in use and thus saves the battery life.
Almost all meat thermometers have durable stainless steel construction with shatterproof glass that enhances their longevity.
You will find the best quality meat thermometers costing around $30 to $100, depending upon the fancier features they have. You can choose them according to your needs and budget requirement.
Some Smart Features you Must not Overlook
- Timer for a countdown of cooking time.
- Rotating Display that adjusts the digital readout at different angles to take readings conveniently.
- Preset Temperature allows you to cook at the safest cooking temperatures.
- Programmable Temperature to set the cooking temperature accordingly.
- Temperature Alarm that beeps or flashes light when the meat reaches the preset or programmed temperature.
- Bluetooth Compatibility that allows the thermometer to connect right to your smartphone via Bluetooth.
Why is it important to use a meat thermometer while cooking?
A meat thermometer is a cooking instrument that is used to measure the internal temperature of cooked meat. The basic function of a meat thermometer is to monitor the progress of cooking, and it helps maintain food safety by ensuring that meats are not overcooked or undercooked. No matter what appliance you use for meat cooking, whether it is oven, gas range, bbq, or even sous vide, you will get perfect cooking results by using a meat thermometer.
There are different reasons to use a meat thermometer. Here are a few:-
- Specific cuts of meat need proper cooking up to a precise temperature so that dangerous bacterias are killed. A meat thermometer helps you achieve that, thus keep you safe from those harmful bacterias.
- Eliminates the guesswork of cooking meat
- Prevents overcooking of meat
Recommended Temperature Guidelines for Different Types of Meat
- Whole cuts of pork: 145 degrees with a 3 minute rest time
- Whole cuts of beef, veal, or lamb: 145 degrees with a 3 minute rest time
- Ground beef, lamb, veal, or pork: 160 degrees
- Ground poultry: 165 degrees
Smart Tips for Using a Meat Thermometer
- First of all, it is very important to place the meat thermometer in the meat correctly to get accurate results.
- Another most important thing to get accurate readings is to calibrate your meat thermometer when you buy it and even at regular intervals.
- Sanitizing your meat thermometer is also very important to avoid the spread of germs. Make sure to sanitize it before and after each use and even in between the uses if you are switching it from one dish to another.
- Wash the thermometer’s probe using gentle dishwashing soap and warm water after every use. Some models are dishwasher safe too, making it more convenient to wash them.
How to place the meat thermometer correctly in different meat items?
|Ground Meat and Poultry||Insert in the thickest area of meatloaf or patty; insert sideways reaching the very center with the stem.|
|Whole Turkey||Insert in the innermost part of the thigh and wing and the thickest area, without touching the bone.|
|Whole Poultry||Insert in the thickest part of the thigh, without touching the bone.|
|Beef, Pork, or Lamb Roasts||Insert in the center of the thickest part, away from bone, fat, and gristle.|
|Hamburgers, Steaks, or Chops||Insert in the thickest part, away from bone, fat, and gristle.
|Egg Dishes and Casseroles||Insert in the center or thickest area of the dish.|
|Fish||Insert in the thickest part of fish when fish is opaque and flakes easily with a fork.|
To wrap it up, we recommend buying the ThermoPro TP20 Wireless Remote Food Thermometer, which is best in terms of performance, quality, and accuracy. And if budget is a concern for you, then investing in Taylor Precision Products Digital Cooking Probe Thermometer is a worth deal. Hope the guide will let you get your best meat thermometer. Well, surely investing in the one is a wise deal if you love grilling and cooking meat at home.