Truthfully, a good kitchen scale is a bit of a luxury. Yep, a scale is definitely an extra rather than an essential. But for bakers, it’s truly an investment that will be appreciated over time. Why? Because you can rely on it to be accurate down to the tiniest fraction of an ounce, rather than assuming your judge eye volume measurements are giving you perfectly accurate results.
Well, a kitchen scale is an important device in the kitchen for measuring ingredients and weight, which can help with food preparation. There are many different types of scales to choose from, so it’s important to understand what features you need before making your purchase. Read on for more information about buying a best kitchen scale.
The purpose of this article is to help you find the best quality kitchen scales that suit your needs and budget without being fooled by false. To get more information about kitchen scales and see their features and disadvantages you can take your time visiting our article!
Our List of Best Kitchen Scales
|Preview||Best Kitchen Scales||Maximum Weighing Capacity||Warranty||Buying Link|
|OXO Good Grips Stainless Steel Food Scale|
|11 Pounds||2 Years||Buy on Amazon|
|Nicewell Food Scale|
|22 Pounds||Lifetime||Buy on Amazon|
|Ozeri ZK14-S Pronto Food Scale|
|11 Pounds||1 Year||Buy on Amazon|
|Escali Primo P115C Food Scale|
|11 Pounds||Lifetime||Buy on Amazon|
|Nutri Fit Digital Kitchen Scale|
|11 Pounds||1 Year||Buy on Amazon|
|Nicewell Digital Kitchen Scale|
|13 Pounds||1 Year||Buy on Amazon|
|Taylor Analog Kitchen Scale|
|-||1 Year||Buy on Amazon|
Related Reviews on Kitchen Appliances
Best Kitchen Scale Reviews
1. OXO Good Grips 11-Pound Stainless Steel Food Scale (Overall Best)
This 11- pound food scale from Oxo comes with all the essential features you need in a good quality kitchen scale. Well, this is our overall best pick because of its innovative design and user-friendly features.
Let’s start with its design; its thin profile and cordless construction ensure hassle-free storage, no mess, and easy cleaning as well. There is also a pull-out display from the base that prevents the shadowing from large bowls and plates. And so you can read the metrics easily. Even more, the large digital numbers with optional backlight allow more clear visibility.
For your convenience, there also comes a unit conversion button allowing you to get the measurements in different units (oz, lb, g, or kg) as per your preferences. What’s more, is the tare function that ensures easy measurement of different ingredients in the same bowl without setting the unit to zero every time. Isn’t it convenient?
Now, the most important part is cleaning which is super easy for this super easy machine. Firstly, its stainless steel construction is smudge-proof and finger-resistant that needs a quick wipe only. And, next is its removable platform that makes cleaning absolutely trouble-free.
All in all, the Oxo Good Grips Food scale is highly recommended by professional chefs and smart homemakers. Add this one to make your kitchen chores more simple and easier…
- Capacity to weigh up to 11 lb
- Thin profile allows easy storage
- Cord-free design ensures you don’t need to deal with the messy cords
- Stainless steel removable platform allows easy cleaning of the scale
- Digital screen with large readable numbers
- Optional backlight provides more clear visibility
- Tare function for easy measurement of different ingredients in the same bowl
- Unit conversion button to get the measurement in different units (oz, lb, g or kg)
- It comes with a 2-year warranty that covers defects in material and workmanship
- Sturdy built
- Easy to use interface
- A high capacity food scale
- Easy to clean
- The pull-out, easy to read display is a useful bonus
- Great for portioning and meal prep
- Removing the platform is quite not easy
2. Nicewell Food Scale (Runner Up)
Not so fancy, but a durable and lightweight scale from Nicewell is yet another smart choice for your kitchen. Its minimalistic design, easy interface, and clearly readable display, even so, many other outstanding features, makes it our runner pick.
The design includes a sleek stainless steel surface for easy cleaning and tempered glass that gives it a strong bearing. So, durability is not a concern. Moreover, the best is its precision and accuracy due to built-in four high-precision load sensors. And you will get immediate results with a 1g or 0.1oz increment that is the best part of this scale.
Feel unit conversion a bit difficult? No worry, the scale comes with multiple unit measurements allowing you to get results in grams, ounces, pounds, kilograms, and milliliters, according to your needs.
It is also featured with touch-sensitive buttons for easy usage, and a special tare function making the measurement of ingredients very easy. Even more, the large platform fits the largest bowl of ingredients easily, and the large display shows clear and viable results. Overall, a convenient and feature-packed unit at a budget-friendly price tag.
- The durable construction includes stainless steel surface, tempered glass, and ABS plastic
- Large and readable display
- Tare function to weigh ingredients in the same bowl or container
- Built-in four high-precision load sensors offer accurate and precise operation
- Multiple unit measurements ensure to get results in your preferred units
- Easy to clean in just a single wipe
- Easy to use touch buttons
- Low battery and overload alarm
- Lifetime product warranty
- Sleek scale that easily fits anywhere in your kitchen
- Durable and sturdy construction
- Flat table platform
- Blue Light LED Background Display provides clear visibility
- Satisfying customer service
- Auto shut off at 120 seconds saves power when not in use
- No downsides noted yet
3. Ozeri ZK14-S Pronto Digital Multifunction Kitchen and Food Scale
This one from Ozeri is a great quality scale at an affordable price tag that grabs the third spot on our list as our best budget pick. From design to performance and accuracy, the model stands best at all.
Its stylish round, as well as compact design, makes it very appealing. Plus, the large platform gives you the flexibility to weigh heavier and larger items with more confidence. Another best thing is that you will find this scale in different color options, including black, red, lime green, silver, teal blue, and white. So, you can choose accordingly that matches best with your kitchen style.
There are two large buttons on the scale-’unit and tare’ making operation very easy. Just tap on the Unit button, and you will get instant conversion in different units, including (g, lbs, lbs:oz, oz, ml). And the tare button calculates the net weight of your ingredients by automatically subtracting the weight of any bowl or container. What’s more, is the large visual display that provides you the clear metrics of what you weigh.
- Elegant design with a refined chrome finish
- Latest generation in-sensor technology for accuracy and immediate measurements
- Enlarged weighing platform
- Weighs up to 11.24 lbs. (5100 g) with precise graduations of 0.05 oz. (1 g)
- Widescreen LCD display for clear visibility of the results
- Easy to use Unit and Tare button
- It runs on 2 AAA batteries
- Auto shut off at 2 minutes to save the battery power
- 1 Year Warranty
- Small profile save a lot of kitchen space
- It is super easy to use
- Great in terms of performance and accuracy
- Lightweight and easy to clean
- Not so durable
4. Escali Primo P115C Precision Kitchen Food Scale
Another lightweight option for your kitchen, the Escali kitchen scale is the best choice for its accuracy and easy interface. Whether you are a passionate baker or an experienced chef, it’s really a great valued scale to ease your food prep.
Its minimalistic design provides a great appeal. Plus, the array of trendy and beautiful color options allow you to choose the one matching best to your kitchen decor.
Its rounded shape makes it sleek and compact, so storing is never an issue for you. Also, the model is very light in weight, so you can easily shift it from one place to another without straining your hands.
No worry about the operation, whether you are a beginner or an avid professional; as its simple two-button process ensures quick and efficient use.
Though it does not come with a backlit screen, you will still get clear readings of the units. Its liberal auto shut-off function with a delay time of 4 ½ minutes is another great feature that allows you to note your readings easily without worrying about that the results will disappear suddenly.
Talking about the cleaning part, the weighing platform is easily removable to wash up and clean. Plus, its plastic outer body and sealed laminated buttons ensure an easy wipe down for perfect clean-up.
- Multifunctional digital kitchen scale
- Capacity to weigh up to 11 lb
- Simple two-button operation
- Tare feature to reset the scale to zero weight to measure different ingredients easily
- Sealed control panel prevents accidental spillage
- Automatic shut off extends the battery life
- Large LED
- Optional stainless steel platform that is removable for easy cleaning
- Lifetime warranty
- Durable body
- Extremely simple interface with just two buttons
- Provides instantaneous readings
- Long delay of 4 ½ minutes before auto shut off
- Offers accurate and consistent results
- No downsides noted yet
5. Nutri Fit Digital Kitchen Scale
The Nutri Fit smart digital kitchen scale grabs the fifth spot on our list for its awesome performance. Again a lightweight, compact, and handy food scale at such a beautiful price range that never lets you down in your food prep.
Don’t underestimate its small size; its large-sized platform is capable enough to hold bigger bowls and containers with ease. Moreover, its sleek design makes it fit anywhere easily without taking too much of the valuable space in your kitchen.
The design also doubles up your kitchen decor; even with three different color options, you can choose the one suiting your kitchen style.
This best kitchen scale allows you to measure both dry and liquid ingredients with easy unit conversions. So, no more hassle at all. Even using the scale is very convenient as it only comes with two-button operation. And you will surely love its precise and accurate measuring results. So, try this one without any doubt…
- Sleek and stylish design
- Built with high precision strain gauge sensor system to provide accurate weighing measurements
- High-quality stainless steel construction makes it durable
- Anti-fingerprint and scratch-resistant feature makes it easy to clean and maintain
- Stylish hanging design
- Clear and large LCD display
- Shows results in various units including lb, oz, g, ml, and fl.oz
- Auto shut-off function after 1 minute
- Low power and overload indication
- 1 Year Warranty
- Very fast and accurate
- Stylish design
- Timesaver device, makes food prep more easy and convenient
- Accurate, lightweight, and easy to use
- Easy to clean
- Easy to store
- Very budget-friendly weighing scale
- Not support small weight increments
6. Nicewell Digital Kitchen Scale
Again a model from Nicewell is popular for its stylo appearance, and most importantly, the precision and accuracy. It is also a lightweight model that features all the important characteristics you need in a good quality and best kitchen scale.
This is the only weighing scale in our list with the maximum weighing capacity of 13 lbs (else all have 11 lbs). It features five different weight measurements (g, oz, lb, ml, lb:oz), and the smooth stainless steel weighing surface makes clean-up absolutely mess-free.
Its handy design and user-friendly interface make it the best choice for all, whether a beginner or a professional chef. And its two-minute auto-off feature is plenty long enough to account for small pauses. The very best feature is that it comes with a silicone pastry mat that adds up to keep your countertop clean while doing the food preparation.
- Food grade stainless steel construction
- Responsive and easy to reach buttons
- Fast to boot up and unit converts
- Convenient tare button for tare calculation
- Clear backlit display with large and readable numbers
- Auto shut off after 2 seconds when not in operation
- 1 Year Warranty
- Excellent craftsmanship
- Very intuitive and easy to use
- The buttons are easy to press
- This scale gives precise, consistent, and accurate results
- Lightweight and easy to ready under a variety of measurements
- The heat resistant silicone mat is an added bonus
- Easily toggles between grams/ounces
- No downsides noted yet
7. Taylor Stainless Steel Analog Kitchen Scale
The next on our list comes this precision and high accuracy scale from the most trusted brand Taylor. It is a retro-style analog scale that gives you the classical feel while you measure on it.
Its high-quality stainless steel construction makes it durable and long-lasting. There also comes a separate stainless steel bowl that is easily removable from the base for quick clean-up.
Calibrating the scale is super easy with the adjustment knob present at the base of the unit. Plus, the large 5-inch dial face features bold black and red graphics on a white face, allowing you to get clear readings of what you are weighing.
- Vintage design
- Stainless steel housing makes it durable
- Removable stainless steel bowl
- Easy calibration with the adjustment knob present at the base of the unit
- Easy to read large dial
- One year limited warranty
- Great function and style
- The numbers are big and easy to read
- No need to hold down buttons to zero or switch between units of measure. It’s always on and always ready to go.
- Good to weigh bulk items
- Classic look with great quality
- Affordable piece
- No downsides noted yet
How to Choose a Best Kitchen Scale? (Buying Guide)
Types of Kitchen Scales
There are many different types of kitchen scales to choose from, and the type you should buy depends on what features you need. There are three main types: mechanical, digital, and dial scales. Each type has its own benefits and drawbacks, which we will go into in more detail below.
1. Mechanical Scales
If your preference is for a scale that requires manual reading or pressing a button each time an item is weighed, then this type of scale may be best for you.
Mechanical scales are built with a needle on the side of a pan that is rotated when an item is weighed. Mechanical scales work well for both light and heavy items, but can be difficult to read because the scale does not have any numbers or markings on it.
2. Digital Scales
This type of kitchen scale features digital numbers instead of needles which will help make reading easier. These are the most convenient ones and give accurate readings every time. You may also find their pocket versions that are designed for on-the-go use.
The only downside is that this type needs batteries in order to operate and sometimes needs calibration over time as they may lose accuracy if used often.
3. Dial Scale
A dial scale is very similar to a mechanical scale. However, instead of the needle rotating around the side of a pan like in a mechanical scale, the dial rotates in order to read the weight on it.
Features to Look for Before Buying a Kitchen Scale
Accuracy is the most important factor when buying a kitchen scale. Make sure that the digital display has no more than 0.1% deviation from the actual weight and should be able to measure accurately in either grams or ounces.
2. Maximum Weighing Capacity
The capacity of your kitchen scale is also an important factor to consider as it will determine how much you can weigh at one time with your device. Be mindful of the maximum load capacity for whichever model you choose and make sure it will accommodate what you need it for.
3. Measurement Units
For more convenience, make sure that the kitchen scale you purchase can measure in a wide variety of units. From grams and kilograms, to ounces and pounds, some scales are designed with a button that changes from one unit to another when it’s pressed. Some models also have preset measurement types, which allow for quick access as well, so all you need to do is place your item on the tray and press “start.”
Even more, some smart scales are also able to measure liquids in cups, ounces, or milliliters, making it more convenient if measuring liquid ingredients is your concern.
4. Water Resistance Feature
Make sure to choose a kitchen scale that comes with a water-resistant design. So, in case if your scale got wet accidentally, then it couldn’t affect its accuracy.
5. Tare Function
Tare function is the most important feature in a digital kitchen scale as it allows you to measure a certain amount of ingredients, and then add more or subtract the weight without having to reset the scale each time. Tare function saves both time and energy, as you will not have to make unnecessary movements or count each item individually.
The tare function is also very useful to measure multiple items in the same container.
6. Removable and Large Platform
The platform of the kitchen scale plays an important role while measuring ingredients. You must consider that it must be large enough to hold a large mixing bowl or cup. Some even also come with removable platforms making it convenient to clean them without any hassle.
7. Anti-skid rubber feet
What if your food scale slips while you measure on it? The result you will get may be inaccurate, plus it also causes lots of inconveniences. Therefore, it is better to choose the one having rubber feet that provides your scale, the stability.
8. Ease of Use
An easy to use machine makes your work simpler. Make sure to opt for the one that comes with an imperative design and user-friendly interface. Too many buttons make it a bit difficult to operate. Therefore, a simple on/off button as well as tare button will be quite enough to operate it conveniently.
Moreover, also look for the display. The brighter one with visible and clear units is easier to understand.
Almost all the latest models also come with an auto shut-off feature that switches off the machine automatically if you forget to do so. That is again a more convenient feature and saves battery power too.
Another important feature of a food scale regarding ease of use is the speedy measurements. A good kitchen scale can show the measurement in less than 1-2 seconds. So, you don’t need to wait for long.
9. Ease of Cleaning
Make sure that the controls and buttons come with lamination or plastic membrane covering, so that no foodstuff (like sugar, flour) gets stuck in between. And therefore, you can clean it easily. Also, as discussed earlier, the removable platform ensures easy cleaning. All in all, a good food scale should be easy to clean with a quick wipe.
Most kitchen scales come with a scoop for measuring dry ingredients, like flour, oats, rice, and spelt, and a separate cup for measuring liquids, such as milk, eggs, or olive oil.
Some also come with an AC adapter that is an excellent feature if you use your machine all day long. Because changing batteries in between the food preparation is a big pain. An AC adapter thus helps you a lot and creates no disturbance at all while you use the machine, no matter either for short duration or all day long.
Benefits of a Kitchen Scale
- A scale makes it easier to keep track of how much of a bunch of different ingredients you need for a meal.
- It offers you accurate and consistent measurements helping with the portion sizes.
- The kitchen scale makes cooking and baking very easy as you use the correct proportion of ingredients.
- They help with calorie counting and determining real serving sizes. Thus develops healthy cooking habits.
- You don’t need a special measuring cup to measure ingredients as it somehow deviates the measurement. Moreover, a kitchen weighing scale is very easy to use over the measuring cups.
- It also cuts down on prep and cleanup time
- The sleek and compact size of the kitchen scales allow easy placement and storage of them.
Smart Tips to Use a Kitchen Scale Properly
- Before starting weighing, make sure that your digital scale is calibrated to zero.
- Weigh separate ingredients in separate bowls before combining them. It allows you to have all of your ingredients ready in appropriate proportionate, so you can easily start your cooking.
- Always calibrate on a flat and leveled surface to get more accurate reading.
- Some kitchen scales come with an attached bowl, while some do not. So, if you are using the one with the attached bowl, make sure that it can fulfill your weighing requirements well, as you can only measure the capacity, the bowl can fit.
Steps to Use a Kitchen Scale
- First is to read the instruction manual before starting to work on your kitchen scale. If you are using the simple scales, no worry, as they are straightforward and easy to use. But for the most advanced scales, you need to get familiar with the controls as well as about the standard features like calories estimations and dietary values.
- After that, calibrate your scales to zero before starting the weighing.
- Now first weigh your container and then with the ingredient in it. Some models have a tare feature allowing the weight of the container to deduct already while using it with ingredients.
- If you are using the digital scale, you will get the readings in a few seconds on the LED display. On the other hand, if you are weighing on the mechanical scale, wait for a few seconds till the needle gets settled.
So, what do you need to choose? How do you decide between a cheapo kitchen scale and a more expensive, multi-component scale? That’s why we’ve put together a list of the best kitchen scales and broke them down into some key points. Don’t be afraid to have a small scale for your personal use and a larger scale for the professional chef. Even the smallest scale will make a huge difference in the way you cook! We hope you enjoyed this article, and we look forward to seeing your kitchen scales in the comments.